Thursday, March 1, 2012

DIY: Flip Flop Hangers

I had a friend ask me if I had seen the Flip Flop Hangers on Pinterest...I hadn't seen them, but told her I would try to find them. She wanted 10 of them if I could figure them out. So, I went to my trusty friend, GOOGLE and this is what I found:


Picture I found on Google.

So this looked easy enough! I gathered my supplies (which I already had all of them)! 10 coat hangers, wire cutters, scissors, tape, spray paint and 2 - 12x12 sheets of scrapbook paper.

Supplies

First, I cut off the cardboard tube on the bottom of the hanger. I cut it in half and then pulled and twisted until it came off.

I save everything (I have the cardboard tubes in a box for hopefully a future project).
 Once the cardboard was removed, I just guessed on this part, but went about halfway down the side of the hanger and bent it upward (see picture below). You can use pliers for this if it's too hard on your hands.

Bending the hangers.
Now that I had the shape of the hangers, I wanted to make them all uniform. So I gave them a coat of white spray paint.

It was beautiful outside, so I placed all the hangers on an old sheet of poster board.

I sprayed one side, let it dry and then flipped them over and sprayed again.
While the paint was drying, I got the scrapbook paper and cut it down to size. I cut 4" x 3" squares and folded them in half.


Once the hangers were dry, I brought them in and started making the "collar" for the hangers. Just a little pizazz!

Step 1 - Slide paper over hanger, folded side away from hook of hanger.
Step 2 - Fold sides of paper back, to make a triangle.
Step 3 - Fold remaining sides over existing triangle (step 2) and tape or glue in place.
Finished -You now have a finished triangle.

**Hint: When you are making these collars, make sure to face the hanger the same way each time so they will all be finished on the same side.**

Steps for collars.
 Once I had the collars I added these little paper flowers, just to raise the cute-ness factor a little! You could use stickers, ribbon, flowers, etc. to personalize your hangers.


I had to test it out to see how well these little hangers work, and I was very pleased! With my extensive shoe collection, I'm just going to have to make myself a set of this handy dandy hangers! I tried and you can hang flip flops, heels, and even flats off the ends.

Ignore my closet, but you can see the hanger in action here.
I hope this was helpful for you, and a good project for the upcoming Spring Time. You can get out your flip flops and stay organized after your "Spring Cleaning". I'm off now to deliver these hangers to my friend, I didn't tell her yet that I found them...I love surprises (hopefully she will too)!

1 comment: