Wednesday, April 11, 2012

French Toast

Monday night, I made braided bread for dinner and had a left over loaf of bread. I didn't want to waste it, so I put it in my loaf pan and baked it and stored it for another day. Tuesday morning, I saw that loaf of bread sitting on the counter and my tummy said, "French Toast, please". Can I say delicious? I tried a new variation and loved it, so I'm sharing it with you! You can substitute many things in this recipe, but I just used ingredients I had on hand!

You will need:
  • 6 slices of Bread
  • 2 Eggs
  • 3/4 cup of Milk
  • Butter (for pan)
  • 1 tsp. Cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. Nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • Powdered Sugar (for dusting)
You can use any bread, I had a loaf of Bridgeford bread left, so that is what I used:
  
Slice bread into about 1" slices.
Next, whisk your eggs, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla together in a small bowl.  
Here's where you can get creative (only if you want to):
  • Substitute the milk for Half-and-Half.
  • Try egg yolks only.
  • Add 1/4 cup of sugar, or brown sugar. 
I used the ingredients listed at the top (only because that is what I had).
 Once that is mixed well, soak your bread in the mixture on each side, allowing it to absorb the mixture.

Soaking in the good stuff.
Remove them from the dish and set them aside. Melt plenty of butter in a skillet or griddle over medium high heat. Place the bread in and cook the French toast until it's golden brown and slightly crispy. Then flip it and cook the other side.

My tummy was really excited at this point!
Ready for consumption!
Once you remove the French toast from the pan, dust it with powdered sugar, drown it with syrup, or fix it however you please! Now...it's time to enjoy it! The nutmeg really gives it a boost of flavor, and I personally think it's delicious! So much so that I'm heating up the left overs as I type for day two of the yummy breakfast! ENJOY!

1 comment: