Tuesday, June 19, 2012

DIY: Patriotic Frame

Here lately it seems that every where you go, decorations are out for the Fourth of July (except Hobby Lobby...they are starting to put out Christmas stuff...yes, seriously)! I've looked at some different items and haven't purchased anything yet, but I have made a few items. Today, I'm going to share one of them with you.

You will need:
  • A picture frame - 5"x7" opening
  • Paint & Brush (if your frame isn't finished to your liking)
  • 1 sheet of white card stock (8 1/2" x 11")
  • Printer
  • Small Decorative Brads (I got mine from Hobby Lobby when they were 1/2 off)
First, go to our good friend GOOGLE and search for your favorite patriotic song in sheet music. Once you find it, print it on the card stock. (You could also search in a music store for sheet music, or copy it out of a hymnal.)


Measure the opening on your frame and cut your sheet music to size (it should be 5"x7"). I forgot and did this after the brads, and it worked, but it would be easier to do it before! Now, take the brads you selected (I used red, white and blue, with a few stars mixed in, for the Holiday), and carefully place them through the music notes.
Cutting the paper to the size of the frame.

Finished insert.
For my frame, I had a lime green one that was still in the packaging and I decided to paint it myself. You can get frames from the Dollar Store, unfinished from a craft store, or you can spend $8-$10 dollars and get a nice one already finished. It's your decision on how involved you want to make this.

I wanted the rustic look, so I crackle glazed parts and distress sanded others.
Now, leaving the glass out (you can save that for another project), place the music sheet in the frame and secure the backing. Voila, an easy decoration!

Finished product.
What I love about this is how quick and simple it is...and you can make one for every Holiday. Hope you enjoy your frame. If you have any questions, just leave a comment and I'll try my best to reply ASAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment